Cats by nature like to hide. Therefore, a cat cave is not only a place to sleep, but also a place to rest, snooze and observe the surroundings undisturbed.
Buy a cat cave
Fearful cats benefit from a cat cave as a safe retreat. Cat caves like to be included in the play of two cats and cats feel safe and comfortable in a cat cave. That’s why a cat cave is part of the initial equipment when a cat moves in. You can easily test whether your cat likes a cat cave. Put an empty cardboard box in the room. If after a short time the cat tries to squeeze into the perhaps too small cardboard box as well, you are right with a cat cave. Cats react to threats by retreating, researchers have determined. The confined environment of a cat cave lowers the cat’s stress level, and the cat becomes more resistant to disease.
What characterizes a cat cave?
Unlike a cat bed, a cat cave may well be narrow. There is only one entrance and exit. The cat cave is created in a hollow body, hemisphere or box. In stores you can find models made of plush, felt, rattan or wrapped with sisal, on which the cat can sharpen its claws. The shape of a cuddle den for cats can be classically round, have the shape of a cuddle bag, be a cave for wall mounting or be the shape of a cube as a cat cave shelf. Also a foldable tower with the possibility of sharpening the claws, a cat cave with furniture legs or a cat cave as a teepee find their lovers.
What material for the cat cave?
- Felt is an antibacterial and stain resistant material. It is very soft, which most cats like. In addition, a cat cave felt compensates for temperature differences, so there is always a comfortable temperature inside the cat cave. Felt can also be folded and taken along.
- Woven basket material is popularly used as a cat height. Wicker is sturdy and resilient and through the wickerwork air exchange takes place, so it is not too warm for the cat. A wicker cat cave with a mesh door is optimal for travel, and the wicker cat cave with two tiers houses a cat cave below and a cat bed above. However, cats need a soft pillow in a basket cat cave.
- A cat tree cat caves made of sturdy cardboard are integrated. The caves are padded inside and outside with plush, so such a cat cave can be quite soft. The cardboard shields noise and the entrance is not so large, so that the cat can feel safe.
- Wood is a very robust material with insulating properties for a cat cave. Wood, especially plywood or solid wood, is used indoors and outdoors. It is possible to additionally insulate wood or provide it with a protective coating, so that the cat cave is also warm inside. A soft cat cushion is essential.
- A cat cave made of plastic can be brought into all imaginable shapes and best kept clean. In addition, covers for a cat cave made of plastic are available in many colors to match the interior. Also, a soft cat pillow is recommended to make the cat cave comfortable inside. A plastic cat cave can also be heatable. The temperature can be controlled via an app. The comfort temperature of cats is between 30 to 36 degrees. The temperature in the dens of humans is significantly cooler. This may be another reason why cats love cat dens.
How big should a cat den be?
A cat cave doesn’t have to be as big as a cat bed, because cats usually curl up in the cat cave. If the cat touches the cat cave on each wall, it will get warm in the cat cave especially quickly. Cat caves are available in stores from sizes S to XXL for Main Coon or Ragdolls. It is best to measure the length of your cat and the height and add five to ten centimeters each to the measurements obtained. This size should then be sufficient for the cat height.
What is the cost of a cat cave?
A cozy cat cave costs from $20 upwards. A cat cave cheap is a little cheaper. If you attach great importance to a high-quality cat cave, you should not choose the cheapest cat cave. For a cat cave with heating, you must expect up to $100 purchase costs.
Setting up a cat den
A separate cat cave for large cats is best placed on the floor. A cuddle bag also finds a place on the floor. A metal ring keeps the entrance to the snuggle bag cat cave open. A cat cave on the cat tree or as a wall cat cave and shelf cat cave is placed elevated. Many cats particularly like this, because then they have the overview. If you have only a small apartment, then a cat cave shelf in the form of a cube is recommended. Choose a place where the cat likes to be. Because cats are curious, the velvet paw will inspect the new cat cave after a short time and take possession. If the cat does not dare to enter, you can lay out a treat, fragrant lavender or catnip in the cat cave.
Which outdoor cat cave?
An outdoor and outdoor cat den, like a dog house, must be waterproof and wind and weather resistant. The material used for a covered outdoor area is impregnated wood with a roof made of roofing shingles or a cat house plastic. The entrance can be secured against cold with a swinging door or chip cat flap. Another outdoor material is waterproof canvas. Gladly cat caves outdoor are combined with an externally available heating mat or a self-warming blanket, so that the cat or the tomcat have it cozy warm. If the cat cave is large enough, the interior can also be covered with insulating polystyrene panels.
Clean cat den
Covers, cushions and upholstery are usually machine washable. Non-washable upholstery is cleaned of dirt and hair with a vacuum cleaner. Prey can be found in an outdoor cat cave from time to time. Therefore, check the cat cave regularly.